Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hey, back off of Nebraska

The cowtown perception of Nebraska has pervaded Europe.

Coming here, I assumed no one would know anything about Nebraska, given that it's a flyover state that even Americans pay little attention to. To be sure, there are plenty of Europeans who haven't heard of the place, but I've met many who are familiar with it, surprisingly.

But what strikes me most about their reaction is the general negativity and/or snickers that follow my introduction. Is there a lot of corn, farms and cows in my great state? Absolutely. Stereotypes are generally rooted in truth, so it's no surprise that people link Nebraska with cows and corn. But why is it viewed so negatively?

Postcards like this might have something to do with it.

I'm the proud daughter, granddaughter and sister of hard-working, driven, intelligent farmers who are nothing like the tired stereotype of backwoods buffoons. I find it ridiculous and downright offensive, quite frankly, that I have to defend my farm roots as if they're something to be ashamed of. Some of the most dedicated, genuine, gracious and appreciative people I know have agricultural backgrounds.

So, the next time a Spaniard, American, European or anyone, for that matter, chuckles when I say I'm from Nebraska, I'll cite this national index that shows Lincoln, Nebraska's capital city, is the happiest metro area in the U.S.

And oh yeah, 96 percent of Nebraska's active labor force is employed. So to super-cool-dude-from-LA-whom-I-met-at-the-bar, who's laughing now? You've got beaches, Britney and oppressive debt.

We have jobs.

Here's to "The Good Life."

Un saludo,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...